Use soap and water or another detergent to clean dirty items. Then, use a disinfectant.
Use an EPA-registered household disinfectant and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure safe and effective use of the product.
List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
Many products recommend:
- Keeping the surface wet for a period of time (see the product label).
- Wearing gloves and ensuring good ventilation during use of the product.
Use diluted household bleach solutions, if appropriate for the surface. However:
- Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application and proper ventilation. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
- Use eye protection or have immediate access to an eyewash station.
- Leave solution on a surface for at least 1 minute. To make a bleach solution, mix:
- 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) of bleach per gallon of water OR
- 4 teaspoons of bleach per quart of water
Make only enough diluted bleach solution that can be used in 24 hours. After that, the solution may not be effective.
Alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol can also be used for cleaning.